"That which is overdesigned, too highly specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome guarantees, if not failure, the absence of grace."
-- William Gibson, All Tomorrow's Parties
"I'm under your curse now, but I call it compromise."

Went to Pietro's with some friendly humans last night, at the 18th & Walnut location. Hadn't been there before, but the pizza was at tasty so I was okay with it. Sophy and I wandered over to Barnes after and I picked up some more books.

The books Neal Stephenson and J. Frederick George co-authored under the pen-name "Stephen Bury" have been re-released. So I picked up The Cobweb (I already own Interface); it's actually sort of frustrating in the same way that Interface was. You can see all the Stephenson-isms just under the surface of "Make This More Accessable", and as I love how Stephenson writes, it is, as I said, frustrating.

The Cobweb takes place in Iowa, some wrestling-centric town, some guy who is running for sheriff, his wife, and some Weird Government Stuff I haven't got into yet. I know nothing about the book except Stephenson seemed proud of it when asked at his book signing a while back.

I also picked up his early novel Zodiac, which I haven't read in years, and the new Harry Potter.

The queue portion of my bookshelf is now two rows instead of the one I've managed to keep it at for several years.

Bah.

Too much time spent coding, not enough reading.

We then headed back to Adam and Sophy's place and hung out with Liz for a while. Liz and I walked back to my place so she could retrieve some books of hers I've had for way to long (and only one of which I read; I suck). Since it was raining around 0200 when she left, I hopped a cab with her and stopped by Wawa to get more soda and food for today.

Liz and Matt are moving to Portland next month so Liz can go to a high-falutin' art school. I was all excited to introduce ejp them, since Liz is totally one of my favorite people (who I never get to see) and for some reason I was convinced Eric lived in Portland, and uh, not Bumfuck, WA. Whups.

Adam and Sophy are (likely) moving to San Francisco in October. Michelle is moving to Boston to go to MIT.

...Meh.

And I'm sitting here still waiting for that goddamn furniture to be delivered.

July 25, 2005 1:24 PM
Comments

Iowa: if it weren't for wrestling, we'd all be farmers

Posted by: daniel at July 25, 2005 4:48 PM

You could go almost anywhere with your
UNIX/coding talents... although it is sad
to see friends move on.. :-(

Posted by: charles at July 25, 2005 6:06 PM

Charles: I've lived in a few places around the country (and for a while overseas), and I've pretty much come to the conclusion that for the most part, the US is the US is the US. Accents and weird little things change (like scrapple, which looks like compressed sewage and tastes like retarded meatloaf), and maybe you'll get a higher density of bigoted morons in certain places. For the most part... America is the same all over, though.

I don't really have any interest in moving away from Philly. And everyone who *is* moving is just (theoretically) doing it for a couple years. We'll see about that. :)

Dan: Seriously. I haven't been to Iowa, but I've been to Kansas. If they're in any way similar, run. Run. Run. Run. I suspect IA doesn't have the Texas's Little Brother thing going on, though...

Posted by: bda at July 25, 2005 6:57 PM

The Midwest is pretty much the same in any state that is claimed to this region. Cattle, crops, wrastlin' and high school football. It's as bad as it sounds.

Posted by: Daniel at July 25, 2005 7:48 PM

Poor bda. So, wait - what are we? Chopped liver? God, I hope not because then we totally stink. Is *that* why you never hang out with us anymore?

Posted by: calliope at July 25, 2005 7:58 PM

Well, Rik *was* pretty smelly when I saw him Friday. But you aren't my Philly People. You're my Bethlehem People!

Posted by: bda at July 26, 2005 6:33 AM

so tainted.. and at such a young age.. :-)

I too have lived all over the US and Canada..
travelled extensively for work, (mexico many times)
Oklahoma is rather boring, bigoted morons are everywhere..
Funny how shaving your head makes you think more
clearly..
Never been to Philly.. Something about "Brotherly Love" freaks me out.. :-)

Posted by: charles at July 26, 2005 1:37 PM

We also have Love Park. ;-)

People are always surprised when I tell them Philly has kind of a "gay" reputation on the west coast.

Probably just because of the Tom Hanks movie.

Posted by: bda at July 26, 2005 7:08 PM