"That which is overdesigned, too highly specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome guarantees, if not failure, the absence of grace."
-- William Gibson, All Tomorrow's Parties
"If perfume is an obsession, and talk shows confession..."

The other day I refactored the PWF network, changed internal addressing, set up a DMZ off the firewall, etc. I also stole conduit Mk I (the PWF mailserver) and reinstalled it for use as the fileserver Kyle has been talking about for a while. Did another install on some other random box for conduit Mk II. Spent a few hours down here, made sure it all worked, then went home around 2200...

Kyle msg'd me this afternoon and told me he couldn't get to conduit Mk II. As everything was working fine last night, I was somewhat confused as to why it would be broken. But yeah, it was inaccessable. Figuring it was a hardware problem, I became suitably annoyed, since I have yet to set up decent automated OpenBSD install stuff. Showered and got to Factory around 1520, plugged a keyboard and head into the box, logged in. Everything seemed fine. I let Kyle know, then went out to Sev for some soda.

Came back and noticed that conduit's power light was blinking. I tried to ping the box, and hey... nothing. So I smacked the keyboard that was still plugged into it. Display woke up, but still no network. Power light went solid. The damn thing was sleeping.

Rebooted, fixed the BIOS...

I don't think I've ever had that happen before. Possibly that's because I usually removed APM stuff from the Linux boxes I admin (unless it's required for P4 HT, but those are all server motherboards anyway), and most of the OBSD installed I've done have been on previously known-good hardware. This was just one of the random Andrew-hoarded junk PCs we have laying around here.

I took some pictures. That first one is my bedroom. The rest are of Factory. Ian noted that the date on the camera is wrong. It reset after I put new batteries in it, and I guess I wasn't paying enough attention while licking the buttons. Pressing. Pressing the buttons.

Couple hours later Bryce came down and we cleaned up a bit. By "clean" I suppose I mean we cleaned off the desks and Bryce did some organizing. I suppose I should take some "after" pictures, but that seems pointless.

My next few Factory projects: mail filter box, list server, VPN...


And the latch on my PowerBook broke. That sucks.

January 21, 2005 8:51 PM

I miss my friend, Bryan. I also do not recognize the Bryan-like creature with all kinds of fuzzy facial hair.

Where, oh where, has Bryan gone?

Posted by: calliope at January 21, 2005 9:04 PM

He is hiding from the cyborg assassins sent from the future to steal his CocoPuffs.

Posted by: bda at January 22, 2005 1:23 AM
Post a comment

Remember personal info?