"That which is overdesigned, too highly specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome guarantees, if not failure, the absence of grace."
-- William Gibson, All Tomorrow's Parties
Consume. Buy. Buy more now.

As I did absolutely nothing productive all day, I decided to punish myself by going and seeing THX 1138 at the Bourse.

So yeah.

It was incredibly bad. And while it was digitally remastered for audio and had a decent amount of CG lumped in, they apparently didn't feel the need to make it digitally not blow.

Also, there's a part where THX is watching a little holovision, and one of the robot cops is beating on some poor drone. The noise of the smacking and the drone grunting is, I think, the same noise that kicks off NIN's The Downward Spiral: Mr Self Destruct.

Could be wrong on that, and no one's ever mentioned it before. But it sounds exactly the same.

Unless you're really interested in seeing where Lucas's very few neat cinematic touches originated (the two Stormtroopers talking on the gangway in the Death Star, for instance), really, really, don't bother.

Doing this also reminded me why I hate going to movies alone so much.

September 20, 2004 12:03 AM

I see you've turned comments back on.

Personally, I always thought THX was a good concept piece, but fairly boring otherwise. Much like the current Star Wars flicks- without the grit or the grunge or the Han Solo, it's all kind of.... bleh.

Posted by: solios at September 20, 2004 12:44 AM

Yes, it is the same sound on Halo 8 and in THX-1138. I remember the first time I saw THX-1138, not long after the album came out, and I thought, "If NIN likes it enough to sample from it... well, there's no conclusion to draw there."

Posted by: rjbs at September 20, 2004 7:12 AM

The beating scene is definitely Trent-esque. The rest of the movie was pretty abysmal. It was just another Clockwork Orange or 2001 to me, only even less interesting. Which in the case of 2001 is a pretty awesome accomplishment.

Posted by: bda at September 20, 2004 9:04 AM

How can you say that, Bryan? 20 minutes of slowly rotating space ships moving toward eachother ever so steadily is fascinating filmmaking from the genius mind of Stanley Kubrick!

Posted by: Dan at September 20, 2004 10:15 AM

And let us not forget the totally awesomeness of the ending! He's tripping! He's old! He's young! He's a spacebaby! That silverware looked really expensive!

Fucking pants is what.