"That which is overdesigned, too highly specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome guarantees, if not failure, the absence of grace."
-- William Gibson, All Tomorrow's Parties
Burning inodes

Sometime yesterday afternoon, the test fileserver's netatalk install decided to stop displaying directories in the root share. I'd stayed home to code, so when my co-worker called and informed me of this, of course I had just put my clothes (all of them) in the wash.

So a few hours later, when I had pants to wear, I headed down to Factory to see what was up. After some screwing around, I couldn't determine if I'd managed to fix the problem or not. So I had to come into work (where I am now, half-awake and reading Perl docs), getting in just before it started snowing in earnest.

The problem was caused, I think, by having shares within shares (we have a root volume, with "client" volumes underneath, which are just directories containing jobs for a specific client). Pretty sure it made the .AppleDB databases sad in some way. Unfortunately I don't know enough about netatalk (I suppose I could take eniak's approach and read the source, but, gar, reading C gives me a headache) to be sure.

Luckily the resource forks (which lives in .AppleDouble) didn't explode.

Volumes that didn't have shares below them didn't exhibit any problems, so my solution was to move the .AppleDB directory out of the way, let it get recreated, and remove all the sub-shares.

As I'm looking to move primary fileserver to Linux/netatalk, hopefully we won't be running into too many of these issues...

My favorite part is where I google for the error I'm getting, and all I find is some German bulletin board.

Lovely, that.

March 19, 2004 5:14 AM